Wishbone Character Connection

Character Connection is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at The Introverted Reader every Thursday. It’s where we get to discuss our favorite book characters and what we love about them!
wishbone robin hoodSo this week, I am giving a nod to one of the most well known faces of classical literature. He was never an actual book character, but he has helped kids all over America learn about everyone from Odysseus to Ali Baba. I am, of course, talking about WISHBONE!
As some of you might know, my Goodreads avatar has always been a picture of Wishbone in all his dashing Robin Hood glory. Even though I don’t use him for my Google profile, I decided I wanted him to be featured somewhere on the blog!

If you don’t know who I am talking about, then you definitely missed out as a kid on one of the coolest TV shows ever. From 1995-98 on PBS, the cutest Jack Russell Terrier dog of all time starred in a TV show featuring some of the most well-known classical books.

wishbone mr. darcy

On the show, Wishbone really made all the stories come alive! He always played one of the main characters of the story: he was everyone from Mr. Darcy to Tom Sawyer to Sherlock Holmes to Hercules (you can see a full list of episodes here). He not only made the stories entertaining and fun, but he made them easy to follow and remember. How many of us first learned about most of these books and characters through Wishbone’s point of view?

wishbone

One of my favorite episodes was an hour-long special on The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, where Wishbone played, of course, Ichabod Crane. I also loved him as Tom Sawyer, Edmond Dantes, and Ariel from The Tempest.

If there are any other Wishbone fans out there, tell me what you remember most about him and the show!

• IntrovertedJen June 24, 2010, 4:14 am

Oh, I'm feeling my age! 🙂 I was 17 in 1995 and a little too old and busy with my senior year of high school for Wishbone. I don't remember watching even one episode! That intro is adorable though! My aunt and uncle did watch it and got a Jack Russell named Cosmo (as in Kramer). I loved that dog and got to dogsit quite frequently.

• Whitney June 24, 2010, 4:20 am

Wishbone is so cute! I always remember him as Sherlock Holmes, it must have been something about the hat. Great choice 🙂

• April (BooksandWine) June 24, 2010, 1:17 pm

I love love love Wishbone! I always liked Ivanhoe Wishbone, and seriously who could forget Robin Hood Wishbone.

I used to watch this like everyday after school with my Mom hahaha.

• Sullivan McPig June 24, 2010, 8:17 pm

I never heard of him before, but I indeed feel like i missed out on something

• Daria Hlazatova June 24, 2010, 9:06 pm

oh! thank you, thank you for this post! i almost forgot this character from my childhood, but it's so great to refresh the memories! great choice and great dog!

• JessiKay89 June 25, 2010, 2:00 am

Oh, I LOVED Wishbone! I definitely went through a Wishbone phase growing up. I loved dogs, and I loved reading, so there was no better combination for me 🙂

• Kah Woei June 25, 2010, 7:11 am

I don't know Wishbone, but it's easy to tell you loved the show.

• Bonnie June 25, 2010, 7:32 pm

I LOVED Wishbone. He was a great teller of tails…er, tales!

Have a great weekend, found you through the Hop.

Bonnie

• Carin B. June 29, 2010, 3:32 am

I never watched Wishbone. I was already in college during those years! He's a cutie though. I also loved Eddie from Frasier (although he didn't help kids learn about different literary classics).