Dobby, A Free Elf Character Connection

Character Connection is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at The Introverted Reader every Thursday. It’s where we get to discuss our favorite book characters and what we love about them!

Alright, folks. I decided to talk about one of my favorite characters of all time: probably without contest my favorite non-human character. If you’ve read the Harry Potter series, you know all about Dobby. If you haven’t, I recommend stopping here because I’ll have some big Harry Potter spoilers in this post.

We first meet Dobby in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets when he is desperately trying to keep Harry from returning to Hogwarts. We find out that Dobby works for the Malfoys and that he knows there are dirty deeds afoot that would put Harry’s life in danger, and Dobby wants to protect him at all costs. He keeps Harry from getting his mail, dumps a rather large pudding on a guest of the Dursleys, seals the train platform so that Harry can’t get to it, sends a rogue bludger after him in a Quidditch game, and all around does everything he can think of to save Harry’s life (even if some of those things ended up hurting more then helping, its the thought that counts people). Doing all these things means he has to punish himself by ironing his hands and otherwise harming himself. But that doesn’t stop our brave house-elf. He is rewarded in the end when Harry manages to find a way to have him freed from the Malfoy’s service.

When we next see Dobby, he has developed a penchant for collecting socks and seems even more odd and whimsical then ever. He is, of course, still a free elf at this point. He ends up helping Harry in his second Tri-Wizard Tournament task in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which Harry would have otherwise bungled to an embarassing degree.

When Dobby next intervenes to save Harry’s life, he makes the ultimate sacrifice. In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Dobby dies in the heroic act of saving Harry and several others. You haven’t seen me cry until you’ve seen me reading that scene, let me tell you. Dobby is at last truly a free elf, in every meaning of the word. That made me sadder then anything else that happens before or after in that series. Really J.K. Rowling, you killed me.

You would be hard put to find a truer friend, or a braver, more loyal and determined character. He is an honorary Gryffindor in my book, I love me some Dobby.

• Darlyn June 17, 2010, 1:00 pm

I love Dobby so much!I hate him at first but i grow fond of his character after that. i cried when he got killed in the last series.poor dobby..

• Felicia the Geeky Blogger June 17, 2010, 1:12 pm

Mine is Tonks! Of course, I have named my dog after her and cried buckets of tears at the end of book 7!

• JessiKay89 June 17, 2010, 1:33 pm

Great post! I loved Dobby–both for his hilarious/whimsical self and for his loyalty.

• Daria Hlazatova June 17, 2010, 2:26 pm

Great post! Dobby is a great character, I always feel so teary when I read "here lies Dobby, a free elf". However sad is his end, it makes his character complete, because his true nature is in sacrfice

• Enbrethiliel June 17, 2010, 2:34 pm

+JMJ+

When I first "met" Dobby, I thought he was awfully annoying, and I had no patience for figuring out the mystery behind his behaviour. But then he just grew on me . . .

Now, Hermione might curse me for saying this, but I wouldn't mind having an adorable house elf at home! =P

• Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read June 17, 2010, 4:37 pm

Aw, Dobby! What a sweet character choice! You described him well.

• Whitney June 17, 2010, 4:52 pm

I love Dobby! He's cute in a quirky kind of way.

• Sullivan McPig June 17, 2010, 4:54 pm

I love Dobby in the books, but I don't like the movie Dobby, probably because I picture him like the small orkish helper from the evil count/knight in Disney's Gummi Bears. (I always saw this show in Dutch so don't know how the evil dude and his minions were called in English)

• Tara SG (25 Hour Books) June 17, 2010, 10:52 pm

OMG I haven't read the books in so long that I had forgetten Dobby dies! Awww now I feel like I should move the HP books up in my TBR pile…

• IntrovertedJen June 18, 2010, 12:04 am

I had to stop tearing through the Deathly Hallows for a few minutes when Dobby died. I don't think I cried, but I was pissed that Rowling had killed him off! I can't remember who had the misfortune of hearing me rant about it, but I should probably apologize to them all over again. That one hit me hard.

• Misty June 18, 2010, 2:37 am

Dobby!!! Man, I loved Dobby! Cried like a baby. And I was reading OUTSIDE at the time, too, so I'm sure the neighbors thought I was nuts.

• sbdandmom June 19, 2010, 4:29 pm

How can anyone not love Dobby? He is so sincerely irritating in he devotion. Brady was terrified of him when he first appeared on screen and we tease him about it to this day.