Character Connection (7): Gilbert Blythe

Character Connection is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at The Introverted Reader.
Anne and Gilbert

Okay, guys. If you know me at all you knew it was only a matter of time before another character from the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery ended up being featured on the blog. I’ve already featured Anne, so now it is Gilbert’s turn! (Watch out for some Anne spoilers, y’all!)

I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I think about Gilbert. Has there ever been a more perfect fictional creation? I think not. Gilbert embodies everything one should want in a man: he is handsome, loyal, honest, smart and thoughtful. He eventually becomes a doctor!

He becomes interested in Anne almost immediately upon meeting her. Unfortunately, Anne does not feel the same way. In fact, Gilbert’s efforts to gain her attention backfire to the point that they remain rivals through the beginning of the series. He waits and hopes to gain back Anne’s attention, and they eventually become good friends. His loyalty and determination to eventually win Anne’s heart are heart-meltingly sweet. (Have you guys read The Truth about Forever by Sarah Dessen? Well, Gilbert is on the receiving end of my sa-woon!)

Gilbert Blythe

The mini-series based on the books is incredible, I love Jonathan Crombie, the guy who plays Gilbert. He isn’t necessarily the most dashing actor in the world, but he is just so Gilberty. He manages to get the troublemaking younger Gil come across just as well as the older, more mature Gil.

I can’t ramble on too much more about him without spoiling the entire Anne series for everyone that hasn’t read them. I can’t recommend reading them enough, they are my absolute favorite books of all time!

• Chris July 15, 2010, 11:24 am

My daughter and I just read the book and watched the movie. I admit I have a soft spot for Gilbert too. Crombie is very Gilberty!

• Enbrethiliel July 15, 2010, 1:31 pm

+JMJ+

"Gilberty" should be a word in the dictionary!

I agree that Gilbert is wonderful in the first Anne book, and I'm willing to bet that he remains so throughout the series, which I have yet to read. (Something to look forward to, aye?)

• Christina July 15, 2010, 7:21 pm

I LOVE Gil!

He's defintely my favorite literary boy, he's just so perfect and adorable!

Just the fact that he waited so long for Anne proves how amazing he is. Awesome choice.

• Katherine July 15, 2010, 8:35 pm

haha I feel the same way about Gilbert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (see all the exclamation marks? 😉

• Becky July 15, 2010, 10:52 pm

Oh, Gilbert Blythe. Love. Him. 🙂

• IntrovertedJen July 17, 2010, 4:13 pm

He looks so very young in those pictures, I'm feeling old! I do love Gilbert though. Poor dear. He had no idea how "Carrots" would blow up in his face. To wait on her so long? Makes me love him even more.

• Sarah July 19, 2010, 10:35 pm

hahaha. This brings back some memories. My sister was absolutely obsessed with Ann of Green Gables. I wish I could tell you how many times she made me watch the tapes; and yes, we both were in love with Gilbert. I was flipping through the channels sometime earlier this year and my local PBS station was doing an Ann of Green Gables marathon during their fundraiser. It was just too perfect; I of course watched Ann Shirley all day long! 😀

• Misty July 20, 2010, 2:00 am

GILBERT!!! Oh, how I adore him! He was one of my first character connections, and he made my (long) list of literary crushes (as the very first I ever had!)