Character Connection (9): Aragorn

Character Connection is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at The Introverted Reader every Thursday. It’s where we get to discuss our favorite book characters and what we love about them!

“And since I’m currently one of the women sitting at home, thinking ‘if I could only find a man like Aragorn…'”

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is epic. Everyone has heard of it. Most people have at least seen the movies. This means that at least three quarters of the female population of the world are in love with Aragorn. References to him are sprinkled throughout other books and movies, like the above quote from the TV show Gilmore Girls. In my opinion, it never gets old! I could wax poetic about the man all day. Watch out, Lord of the Rings spoilers to come!
He is pretty much the most accomplished ninja assassin healer commander wise man warrior eveeeer. In the Fellowship of the Ring, he starts off as the mysterious Strider that helps the hobbits with the first leg of their journey. By the end of the trilogy, he becomes the king…and leaves a long trail of kicked asses in his wake.

He is described as being lean, tall and dark, gray eyes, and an often sad personality. His sadness probably comes a lot from his complicated relationship with Arwen, his lady love. Her dad was kind of a hater. But it all works out in the end, they end up married and I believe they have two daughters.

Not only does he majorly kick ass and  have a touch of the romantic about him, but he takes care of his own. He stays totally focused on the goal of getting the ring destroyed, and he remains loyal to all his companions throughout the journey.

Basically, he is the perfect man.

• Liz August 5, 2010, 4:23 am

And in addition to all of these qualities, Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn illicits wolf whistles. So delicious.

• Becky August 5, 2010, 4:25 am

MINE MINE MINE! Ahem. I mean, "Please sir, may I have some more?"

I love Aragorn. I now wish to re-read the books (again) and watch the trilogy… (again). 😀

Great post, Al!

• Carin B. August 5, 2010, 4:33 am

I agree with you 99%…except Aragorn the movie character looks better dirty and there is something about a man that hasn't bathed that turns me off! LOL! 😛

• Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read August 5, 2010, 9:29 am

Aragorn is a great choice! He really is a perfect man – a fighter, romantic, loyal and just. *le sigh*;) He is a great man.

• IntrovertedJen August 5, 2010, 1:44 pm

Oh my gosh. I love Viggo as Aragorn. There's one scene (I think in the second movie?) where he comes busting through some doors as he's slinging his wet hair back out of his face…. Um, yeah. Could watch that all day. Well, that and the scene in Australia where Hugh Jackman dumps the water over his head and perfectly chiseled torso.

Ahem. Speaking of water, maybe I need to go find a cold shower now. 🙂

• jackie b central texas August 5, 2010, 1:45 pm

LOR trilogy is one of the all time best movie adaptations IMO simply because they chose Viggo to play the role of Aragon, no one would have looked as good that is for sure. He is the perfect man as you state with flaws that do not detract from that!

I have a blog award for you Allison at Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

• Smash Attack! August 5, 2010, 1:47 pm

Lord, yes! He is so amazingly amazing. No one could have played him better than Viggo. Be still my heart!

• Shelley (Book Clutter) August 5, 2010, 4:13 pm

My heart went pitter-pat just seeing the picture! Loved him in the books, and then lusted after him in the movies LOL!

• Enbrethiliel August 5, 2010, 4:27 pm

+JMJ+

It's so perfect when Strider reveals that he is also a king, but I think I would have liked him, anyway, if he had been no more than a simple Ranger. =)

• Christina August 6, 2010, 3:37 am

Agree, Lord of the Rings is epic but Aragorn adds to the amazing. He's so wonderfully complex, and being amazingly attractive doesn't hurt either.

• Wrighton August 6, 2010, 1:26 pm

Hear, Hear, he is definately a heart throb. Complicated but kind.

• Misty August 8, 2010, 3:21 am

Love the GG reference. I quote them all the time (esp. 'Oi, with the poodles already!')

• Sarah August 8, 2010, 6:07 pm

oh Allison, I love him. He is just.. ahh. I don't even know. He was on my list of my Top 10 book crushes I posted a while ago. I can't even explain how much I love him.. lol. Great Choice!