Bellatrix Lestrange Character Connection

Character Connection is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at The Introverted Reader every Thursday. It’s where we get to discuss our favorite book characters and what we love about them! And through the month of October, Jen is running a contest for character posts written about villians!

Bellatrix Lestrange

Watch out for Harry Potter spoilers throughout the post!

Bellatrix Lestrange. We all know her. We all loathe her. While I don’t think the movies (or anything else) could ever do the books justice, Bellatrix is the one character that really came to life for me through the movies. I think it is because Helena Bonham Carter does such a fantastic acting job!

She was born into one messed up family: the Blacks. Too bad she didn’t hang out with her cousin Sirius, she might have turned out differently. Anyway…she follows along with her family into studying the dark arts…being sorted into the Slytherin house, and then eventually becoming a Death Eater.

Bellatrix Lestrange

The two things Bellatrix is most known for are torturing Neville’s parents into insanity and killing Harry’s godfather (her cousin) Sirius. She couldn’t have picked two more beloved and loyal characters to mess with. Sirius dying at the end of the 5th book is one of the first truly devestating events in the series. And messing with Neville? Come on. It’s like torturing a puppy.

In a completely awesome scene in the last book, she finally gets killed by the fabulous Molly Weasley.

In my opinion, Bellatrix Lestrange is the scariest character in the series behind Voldemort. She is seriously insane. Every word out of her mouth sends shivers down my spine.

Seriously. I hate Bellatrix Lestrange.

• Kah Woei October 14, 2010, 12:31 pm

I love the reasons you listed for hating her. Next to Voldemort, she's probably the most sinister character in the Harry Potter series.

• vvb32 reads October 14, 2010, 1:35 pm

ooo, those pics give the shivers. she is one big bad baddie, i agree. but you know, the movie version show her more wacko than sinister like the book portrays.

• Lu October 14, 2010, 5:43 pm

I hate her most for what she did to Neville!

• Andrea October 14, 2010, 7:16 pm

She is horrible, but I think Umbridge might be worse. At least Bellatrix's crazy is on display.

• Enbrethiliel October 15, 2010, 8:12 am

+JMJ+

Oh, dear! Those pictures give me the shudders, too–and I think Bellatrix might be the only recent role of Helena Bonham Carter in which I think the weirdness is called for–but I'm afraid I was too wary of spoilers to read your whole post, Allison. =( I haven't read any Harry Potter book beyond the fifth one, and my memories of that are pretty fuzzy. I'll get around to them all someday, I know, and that is why I'm keeping away from spoilers as much as I can!

• IntrovertedJen October 15, 2010, 4:59 pm

I think I cheered when Molly Weasley took on Bellatrix! I agree that Helena Bonham Carter did an excellent job with her character. The part could have been written for her!

• Misty October 16, 2010, 4:42 pm

I LOVE Bellatrix! She's my fave villain in the series, I think. And what a name.

• Alyssis August 24, 2013, 8:54 pm

I LOVE Bellatrix, not matter what all of you think. I find it extremely cool that she was so blindly devoted to her master