Character Connection (16): Bones

Character Connection is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at The Introverted Reader every Thursday. It’s where we get to discuss our favorite book characters and what we love about them!

I just reread the first four books of the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost in preparation for the fifth book’s publication in February 2011. I absolutely can’t wait for the next book!

Well, since my head is full of the world Frost created, I decided the only character I could possibly discuss for Character Connection is Bones (or, to be more formal, Crispin)! To go along with this, look for reviews of all four books coming up next!

How to describe Bones? It really is hard to find words. When authors, readers and critics talk about the chemistry between fictional characters, they might not have read these books, but they are talking about the connection Frost forges between her main characters, Cat and Bones. I’ve read a lot of books – including a lot of romance novels. Let me tell you, there is nothing – NOTHING – like the chemistry between these two characters. When I read these books, I can actually physically feel the bond they share.

Bones is one heck of a dynamic guy. He is absolutely hilarious, unquestionably loyal and most likely demented. He is one of the most interesting and entertaining characters I’ve ever had the joy of getting to know. Before I started this series, I thought the Sookie Stackhouse series would always hold the top spot as far as adult paranormal series go. I don’t think I’d gotten halfway through Halfway to the Grave, the first book in this series, before I started telling people to forget Sookie and read these instead.

He is crafty and manipulative – once Cat appears on his radar he has a single minded focus – he wants her. Luckily for him, he is basically irresistible. She is a force to be reckoned with herself, but even she didn’t stand a chance.

I don’t want to get too specific here, because I want everyone to read the books and meet Bones for yourself, I just hope I’ve got you interested enough to give them a shot! If you do give this series a chance, you’ll be coming back to thank me – I guarantee it!

• Natalie (Mindful Musings) November 10, 2010, 7:13 pm

I love Bones! He's such a fun character to read. 🙂

• bibliophile brouhaha November 10, 2010, 7:18 pm

Holy. Crap. I adore adore this series – February cannot get her soon enough! So happy I found your blog – I'm a new follow from last week!

My first blog post ever was about the first two books –they are so amazing. Have you ever read her deleted lines posted on Frost Fans? There’s one from Bones that was taken out from AGE that reads: "If I die, I will wait for you, do you understand? No matter how long. I will watch from beyond to make sure you live every year you have to its fullest, and then we’ll have so much to talk about when I see you again…"

-Linds, bibliophile brouhaha

• rosalielario November 11, 2010, 4:07 pm

I couldn't agree more! Bones is a dynamic, irresistible character. I find it so hard to believe that I can connect with him so deeply even though we never actually get his POV! (The books are 1st person, Cat's POV.)

In my humble opinion, Jeaniene Frost is a genius! Okay, now I'm dying for the next book…

• Lucy Stallings April 2, 2013, 10:14 am

Read “Reckoning” from the book Unbound. It is a story from Bones point of view before he meets Cat.

• Amary Lirany November 11, 2010, 6:31 pm

I'm totally agree with you. Bones is such a character, I just love him and can't get enough of him.
    Is just never enough, no matter how many times I had read the books

• IntrovertedJen November 14, 2010, 6:51 pm

Ooh, a guarantee!

I don't know Bones, but you have me curious. I'll had these to my list and I'll let you know what I think when I get to them. He certainly sounds like someone I would love!