Top 10 Tuesday: Debut Books

This is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

When I made this list, I made an effort to: 1) try and incorporate some books I haven’t featured much on favorite lists so far (except when I couldn’t help myself!) and 2) Use older and/or adult titles instead of new YA titles everybody has already read.
………………………..

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling. Pretty much speaks for itself, I’d say. First book of the (in my opinion) best series ever written.

2. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I talk about this book on a regular basis…you guys know how much I love it! It is an epic fantasy novel with YA crossover appeal.

3. Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly. One of my favorite authors: all her books are fantastic. This is an adult historical fiction novel, and the first of a trilogy.

4. Soulless by Gail Carriger. This series is awesome. Historical, paranormal. steampunk, humor and parasols.

5. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. This series has a pretty large following, and supposedly a movie in the works. Adult historical fiction with a fantasy/time-travel element. Super intense storyline.

6. Graceling by Kristin Cashore. I think Kristin Cashore is pretty much the best of the best in the YA fantasy world. I absolutely can’t wait for her third book – and then everything else she writes after it!

7. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. I’ve talked a lot about this book on the blog also, it was definitely my favorite book of 2010. If you’re a contemporary fan and you haven’t picked this up…you have no idea what you’re missing!

8. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. A very original epic fantasy debut. There are other books out in the series that I really need to get to soon. This book was absolutely hilarious and well-written and action-packed. My goal is to get April at Good Books & Good Wine to read it ASAP.

9. Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. I’ve enjoyed everything she has written since, but this is definitely – by far – the best. I loved the characters and the story, and the original world-building.

10. Kushiel’s Dart by Jaqueline Carey. An adult fantasy series not for the faint of heart. I’m not much of one for putting “not for kids” labels on things…but this is the one book I will say is definitely for older readers. It is also very much a “love it or hate it” book. I fell in love with the story and the characters hook, line and sinker. I have re-read it more than once and love it every time.

• Khadija February 2, 2011, 12:36 am

I really ned to read more Maria V. Snyder books, i really loved inside out and ouside in. 🙂

I just reviewed Fauxmance, come check it out if you get a chance? http://www.blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com

• Julia February 2, 2011, 12:40 am

Just recently added Poison Study to my TBR list. Tea Rose has been on there forever…

Soulless was on my list as was HP. Love those series'

• April (BooksandWine) February 2, 2011, 12:40 am

Okay, here is the deal, during President's Weekend, I have a 3 day weekend. I will read Lies of Locke Lamora then. How does that sound to you??

• Aleetha February 2, 2011, 12:42 am

From all those book, I have read none. I just recognize Poison Study. And just got read its excerpt. I found different cover of its in bookdepository. I am looking forward to read this book

• Allison February 2, 2011, 12:43 am

it sounds like VICTORY!

• Andrea February 2, 2011, 2:29 am

Great picks! I also included HP on my list. Outlander is one of those books I have heard so much about. I have it on my Kindle and will be starting it soon.

Reading Lark's Top 10

• couchpotatocritic February 2, 2011, 3:02 am

I love your list! Both Outlander and Graceling are wonderful, and you're the second person to list Poison Study — I guess that means it needs to go on my TBR list now! Thanks for sharing.

• Misty February 2, 2011, 5:39 am

bwahahahaha @ Allison and April
    She's never going to stop gloating, April; I hope you know that…

• Matilda April 24, 2017, 8:34 am

I used to be suggested this web site by my cousin. I’m no longer sure whether or not this publish is written by him as nobody else realize such precise aploxrimatepy my trouble. You are incredible! Thanks!

• chepearst car inshurens, Angier, North Carolina May 1, 2017, 3:36 pm

Info is moderately displayed, all things as it ought to be. Shots of fine outstanding, great solutions featured. In just one word: great! Believe may upgrade coursesmart, chcetnie find out more of one’s blogposts.

• Anne Bennett February 2, 2011, 6:05 am

The Sky is Everywhere was my favorite YA book of 2010, too, but I wonder if it will stand the test of time.

-Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

• Deb Nance at Readerbuzz February 2, 2011, 11:02 am

It's been so long since I've read a fantasy novel. Need to try some of these on your marvelous list!

Here's my list of my ten favorite debut books: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-ten-best-debut-books.html

• Candace February 2, 2011, 6:00 pm

Well, you know that the Kushiels series is my ALL TIME favorite series, EVER. So I need to read Poison Study soon! I also loved Outlander (well, the whole series) and Soulless (I'm finally reading Blameless right now!). So we pretty much have the same taste in books.