Character Connection (18): Fire

Character Connection is a weekly feature hosted by Jen at The Introverted Reader.

I read Fire, the companion/prequel to Graceling, when it was first released a couple of years ago, but I recently reread it and it reminded me how much I love the characters that Kristin Cashore has created!

Fire is a really unique character – and she is one of a kind in her own world as well! She is the last of the human monsters – beautiful creatures that have the power to mesmerize and control humans. Of course, that means everyone is at the same time scared and mistrustful of her – but also powerfully drawn to her and her beauty. Luckily, unlike her father, Fire has a good sense of right and wrong and does her best to use her abilities in positive ways.

She ends up intertwined in an intrigue with the court – they want to use her abilities to read minds to help them get answers from captured spies. She reluctantly agrees to help them and ends up becoming close to Prince Brigan (who is swoon-worthy and very deserving of his own character post!). Her growing friendship with him makes her rethink a lot of the decisions she’d previously made to limit her lifestyle.

Throughout the book, she goes out of her way to try and involve herself in dangerous situations if she thinks she can be of use. Some of her decisions are pretty reckless, but she is driven to both make up for her evil father and to show people that she is not like him. Her kindness and bravery make the book very fast-paced and memorable!

I’ve never been able to decide which of the books (Graceling or Fire) that I like better. Do those of you that have read both have an opinion? I think, either way, Fire stands out as a really well written and complex character!

Check out the book on Goodreads / Amazon

• Stephanie June 16, 2011, 5:51 am

It's been a long time since I've read these. This makes me want to reread them! I love Kristin Cashore's characters. They're really unlike most of what current YA authors are writing. She's not afraid to make characters complicated. Sometimes I didn't like Fire, but by the end I understood why Kristin made her a little morally-ambiguous–she definitely wasn't the typical Mary Sue YA heroine.

• Kah Woei June 16, 2011, 12:43 pm

Yup, Fire was a good read for me … the draw being the main character herself of course. But, I actually liked Graceling more 🙂

• Jenny June 16, 2011, 2:30 pm

I need to read these books, I've hear nothing but good things about them but I just haven't had a moment to get to them yet! Characters are always my favorite aspect, and it sounds like I'm missing out on some good ones! Must fix that:)

• IntrovertedJen June 16, 2011, 11:12 pm

I was just thinking I need to actually read this soon! I did love Graceling.

• Ashley @ Book Labyrinth June 17, 2011, 1:58 am

I know most people seem to prefer Fire to Graceling, but I liked Graceling a lot more. Fire (the book) was definitely good, but I actually didn't care that much about Fire (the character). And the things with Archer were just… strange. Brigan was definitely an awesome character, though.

• Enbrethiliel June 17, 2011, 10:07 pm

+JMJ+

I haven't read either of these books. =(

Fire does sound like a great character. For some reason, I'm reminded of Raven/Mystique in X-men: First Class: both young women have the chance to use their powers for evil . . . but at least Fire chooses to use them for good.

I'm also really sympathetic to heroes who have the deck stacked against them and have so much more to prove–and your description of Fire shows she's one of them. =)

I also did a Character Connection post this week, and I hope you'll have the time to check it out: Character Connection 28. Thanks!

• poker training July 19, 2011, 5:51 pm

Of course, what a great site and informative posts, I will add backlink – bookmark this site? Regards, Reader.