Ron Weasley Character Connection

This is a weekly feature at The Introverted Reader.
Ron Weasley

Ron Weasley has got to be one of the best characters ever written: definitely the best sidekick. He is gullible, sarcastic, stubborn…but he is also a Gryffindor through-and-through: brave and loyal. Perhaps the most important thing, however, is that he is also every inch a Weasley. That entire family has something special about them that defies explanation.

Can you imagine how Harry’s life would have turned out if he and Ron hadn’t ended up in the same train compartment on their way to Hogwarts for the first time? When you really think about it, that was one of the most important turning points of the series. Harry, for the first time, made a friend. He couldn’t have chosen better!
Ron Weasley also brings the comedy. He is so hilarious! (Whether he means to be or not…)
Ron Weasley

“Well, we were always going to fail that one,” said Ron gloomily as they ascended the marble staircase. He had just made Harry feel rather better by telling him how he told the examiner in detail about the ugly man with a wart on his nose in the crystal ball, only to look up and realize he had been describing the examiner’s reflection.

Ron Weasley spider**********

“The hats have gone,” Hermione said happily. “Seems the house-elves do want freedom after all.”
“I wouldn’t bet on it,” Ron told her cuttingly. “They might not count as clothes. They didn’t look anything like hats to me, more like woolly bladders.”

**********
“Percy wouldn’t recognize a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby’s tea cozy.”
  • Kah Woei June 30, 2011, 12:28 pm

That last one was hilarious 🙂

• Alison June 30, 2011, 12:46 pm

Harry's life would have been a lot difference. Through Ron, he basically found a family. Ron's life also would have been a lot different. Even though he was usually in Harry's shadow, Harry still gave him the opportunity to shine.

• Enbrethiliel June 30, 2011, 4:43 pm

+JMJ+

I love Ron more than I like Harry, although my favourite Weasley will always be Percy. (Yes, you read that rightly!) Alison is right that he gave Harry not just friendship, but also a family–and in doing so became not just a friend, but also a real brother. I'm reminded now of my mother and the friends she has had since childhood. All of them call each other's mothers some version of "Mom": not "Mrs. B–" or "Aunt C–", but Mom. And I believe it's because their friendship wasn't just the expanding of a network, but the expanding of a family.

• Jenny June 30, 2011, 5:46 pm

LOL! Yes, Ron is definitely worthy of recognition. He's funny and loyal and who could ask for more.

• Sandy June 30, 2011, 9:59 pm

Ron! I love Ron ^_^. My favourite character out of the trio and one my favourite characters out of that entire series, he also had the best lines.

• brandy-painter June 30, 2011, 11:43 pm

Ron is the best part of HP in my opinion. I love him for all the things you mentioned (although I don't think he is gullible). I also love him because he is a very different sort of hero from Harry. He was not a child of prophecy so he had the choice to walk away from it all but didn't (at least not for good).

• Fiona July 3, 2011, 6:23 pm

Ron…. you can't not love Ron really. He's your dream friend, husband, brother (not all at once obviously).

Rupert Grint is also wonderful. He looks just like I imagined Ron and out of all the actors I think he's pretty much dead on how I imagined Ron. I also like him as a person – he's a little off the wall.

Read this interview lately. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/jul/03/rupert-grint-final-harry-potter-interview

He never seems to offer anything much up. I do have a little crush on Rupert Grint, I had one for ages but he used to be too young.

• IntrovertedJen July 5, 2011, 1:53 am

It's been a while since I've done a re-read, but in my head, it seems like Harry could have been Sorted into Slytherin if he hadn't been hearing about Gryffindor from Ron on the train. Then everything would have been very different, right?

Am I remembering that correctly at all?

I do love Ron. Rupert Grint's facial contortions occasionally go over the top for me, but mostly I think he's perfect.