Books Collecting Dust on My Shelves…

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

So, I took this one literally, y’all! I headed over to my to-read list on Goodreads and organized them by date to see which books had been there the longest.

Photobucket

1.Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. No surprise here, this book is really freakin’ long. Every single time I see it though, I want to pick it up. Maybe one day soon.

2. The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. An adult(ish) fairy tale – sounds appealing. No excuse here, other than the fact that my copy is in storage at the moment.

3. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Good grief, I really need to read this one. I know I’ll love it when I do!

Photobucket

4. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. I think I added this to my TBR right after finishing The Book Thief and then pretty much forgot about it. I do own a copy though, and it is really short (and on my fill in the gaps list like a lot of these are), so I most likely will be reading it fairly soon.

5. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. A lot of friends I know and trust love this, I found a copy ages ago at Goodwill…so I don’t know why I haven’t read it yet! Somebody yell at me already.

6. Bleak House by Charles Dickens. Here is another that is no surprise, also a massive classic.

Photobucket

7. The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley. Aha! Victory! This is actually in my short(ish) pile of stuff to get to soon(ish). Mainly because it is also on the fill in the gaps list. And because I like Robin Hood.

8. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I actually just read The Little Princess earlier this year finally, so I don’t know when I’ll get to this one.

9. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. I keep meaning to pick this one up because it is Patrick Rothfuss‘ favorite book. It really is a sad day when you can’t say you’ve read your favorite author’s favorite book.

10. Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. An adult fantasy that everyone that has read seems  to love.

• gfbooksmom November 15, 2011, 7:49 am

Some of those books sound really good.
    Here’s My Post

• Orchid November 15, 2011, 7:55 am

The Mists of Avalon is epically good- although extremely long. You should definitely read it one day.
    Orchid recently posted..Blog Tour Review: True GrimeMy Profile

• Kelly @ Radiant Shadows November 15, 2011, 7:58 am

I love The Secret Garden; one of my favourite movies as well 🙂

My Top Ten Tuesday
    Kelly @ Radiant Shadows recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday (4)My Profile

• Christina T November 15, 2011, 8:24 am

I’ve only read two of the books on your list-The Secret Garden and the Mists of Avalon. I read The Secret Garden as a kid because I received it as a Christmas gift. I still haven’t read Bleak House, or many of Dickens’ books. I hope you get to read these soon 🙂
    Christina T recently posted..Top Ten Books I Own But Haven’t ReadMy Profile

• trish November 15, 2011, 8:42 am

I’ve been on the lookout for I Am The Messenger ever since I read Book Thief, too. I have found a copy yet, though. Maybe Santa?
    trish recently posted..Neglected TBRsMy Profile

• Ash November 15, 2011, 9:30 am

The Mists of Avalon, Bleak House and The Secret Garden are all lost somewhere in my TBR pile too. Same reasons for most of them. The Mists of Avalon and Bleak House are gigantic and The Secret Garden just keeps getting lost in the shuffle.
    Ash recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Unread Books on My BookshelfMy Profile

• Burgandy Ice November 15, 2011, 11:28 am

*gulp* You haven’t read The Last Unicorn?!?! I did not know it was Patrick Rothfuss’ favorite, although… yay! that he’s your fav author!! Peter Beagle’s book stands all by itself somewhere in Incredible. I can’t think of another book like it. I reread it this year ’cause I couldn’t shake the idea of Regret and why it was so heartwrenching to feel it. Incredible.

Outlaws of Sherwood is fun… It felt like two books in one to me, ’cause Robin Hood is the main character, right? or is it Little John? No… it’s the very fun girl who falls in love with Little John!!!

• Samual November 15, 2011, 12:26 pm

The Secret Garden sounds very good. I like the cover. Great books! Thank you for sharing!

New follower.

Sam
    Books For All Seasons

• Anne November 15, 2011, 12:43 pm

I have heard good things about Tigana, I would love to read it.
    Anne recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday- Books that have been on my shelf the longestMy Profile

• Joyousreads November 15, 2011, 12:54 pm

Confession time: I’ve only read the Cliff notes of Les Miserables…I’m so bad, I know. *hangs head in shame*
    Joyousreads recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday (5): Books Collecting Dust on My Shelves.My Profile

• Kell Smurthwaite November 15, 2011, 5:05 pm

We share Les Miserables. And Neverwhere is great. 🙂
    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday post. 🙂

• Sarah (The Brazen Bookworm) November 15, 2011, 5:43 pm

I think you’d really love The Mists of Avalon – perfect blend of adventure, intrigue, legend, romance, betrayal, history and magic. I had to read it for a class in college, but I think I’ve read it twice since then. They did a miniseries on it a few years back – two very enthusiastic thumbs down, though. 🙁 Seriously, the book is great.
    Sarah (The Brazen Bookworm) recently posted..Audiobook Review: The Iron Duke by Meljean BrookMy Profile

• Chachic November 15, 2011, 8:46 pm

Tigana and The Book of Lost Things are gathering dust in my bookshelf too! I’ve had my copy of the latter since 2007, I think? Same as The Book Thief. Good thing I finally got around to The Perilous Gard and The Last Unicorn because I’ve had those for a while as well.
    Chachic recently posted..The Scorpio Races by Maggie StiefvaterMy Profile

• Melissa @ i swim for oceans November 15, 2011, 9:04 pm

The Secret Garden is pure brilliance 🙂

• Leslie November 16, 2011, 4:10 pm

Neverwhere was my gateway drug into fantasy when I was in high school. I still consider it one of my all-time favorites. You should definitely make time for it!
    Leslie recently posted..2012 Science Fiction Reader ChallengeMy Profile