Can I Be Your Memory? – On Childhood Favorites

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at Broke & Bookish.

Photobucket

1. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. My first book love, y’all! There are no characters – to this day – that I love more than Anne and Gilbert. This entire series is phenomenal.

2. Felicity: An American Girl by Valerie Tripp. I love Colonial Williamsburg! My parents even took me there when I was younger. I have a Felicity doll, and my dad even made furniture to go with it! This series had a pretty big impact on my life. I read all the American Girl books, but these definitely had special importance.

3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. One of the first books I remember reading (granted, the Illustrated Classics edition). I also love the movie versions. The March family is really hard to forget. I never have been able to decide what I think about the way things turn out though.

Photobucket

4. Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder. My mom gave me these books because she enjoyed them, and I definitely read them over and over again. I also watched the TV show even though it could not possibly have been farther away from the actual events.

5. Little House on Rocky Ridge by Roger Lea McBride. Little House: the Next Generation. I love these even more because they’re much more well written. Rose makes some decisions as she became an adult that absolutely INFURIATE me though. What the heck was she thinking?!?

6. Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White. Aww, Wilbur.

Photobucket

7. The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner. I owned a lot of these back in the day – I have a storage bin full of them in my parents’ garage. Yay for awesome mystery series for kids.

8. Kristy’s Great Idea by Ann M. Martin. Speaking of recycling bins – I have several full of these. I read hundreds of these books and I read them over and over and over and over and over again. Seriously. I was crazy obsessed with this series.

9. The Story of Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman. Anytime I stayed with my grandparents growing up, I’d find this book stacked with some other children’s books in a closet. I’d always read it right before going to sleep. Kind of an odd story really, but it always makes me want to eat tiger butter.

10. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling. No surprise here, right? I have always been a reader, but no series has ever made me love books more than this one – and none ever will.

• ChristiesBookReviews December 5, 2011, 11:25 pm

You have some great choices! I totally forgot about Baby sitters club! I totally agree with you on harry potter! Thats on my list also!

Here is my top ten 🙂

• Kayla (All the Things She Read) December 5, 2011, 11:28 pm

I recently read Charlotte’s Web for the first time and I loved it. However, I tried watching the early animated movie again and quickly realized that I had outgrown it. I like the Dakota Fanning one though.

Little Women is another great one. I’ve read it twice so far. I just hate how Jo’s story ends (I did not like the German professor-or whatever he was-at all both times I read it).
    Kayla (All the Things She Read) recently posted..Top Ten Childhood FavoritesMy Profile

• Debbie's World of Books December 6, 2011, 12:24 am

We have a lot of the same books. I was a huge BSC fan and loved Anne of Green Gables. Here’s my list

• Barefootmeds December 6, 2011, 1:37 am

We have some in common – I read the same edition of Little Women too, funnily.
    I’m beginning to think I should really have a look at the “Little House” books. They were never really big in RSA, although I know my library stocked them.
    My post is here: http://wp.me/p18e69-91
    Barefootmeds recently posted..My Fave Kiddie ReadsMy Profile

• Lori December 6, 2011, 5:29 am

American Girls is on my list too! Although, I’m a little scarred because I never got a doll. 😉 I don’t know why I never read Anne of Green Gables. I loved the movie!

Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday.
    Lori recently posted..The One with My Top Ten Favorite Childhood ReadsMy Profile

• Kell Smurthwaite December 6, 2011, 6:17 am

Excellent choices – we share a few!
    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday post. 🙂
    Kell Smurthwaite recently posted..Teaser Tuesdays – The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel BarberyMy Profile

• Madigan December 6, 2011, 7:23 am

What a great selection. My grandparents had a copy of Lil Black Sambo too, and the tigers turning into butter always terrified me!

Good ol’ Harry Potter! I was working in a bookstore when it first came out, and that book was my bread and butter for many years.
    Madigan recently posted..Top 10 Childhood FavesMy Profile

• Karis (YA Litwit) December 6, 2011, 8:05 am

I loved The Babysitter’s Club too! I forgot all about that one!

My Top Ten
    Karis (YA Litwit) recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday (2): Top Ten Childhood FavoritesMy Profile

• April Books&Wine December 6, 2011, 9:07 am

I fricken loved The Boxcar Children and Babysitter’s Club as well! I also almost put Great Illustrated Classics on my list, because I used to get them from the grocery store ALL THE TIME.

AND YAY FOR ANNE OF GREEN GABLES! I don’t think I would have read that book if not for your pushing, so yay younger Allison for being a fan.

• Alexa @ Alexa Loves Books December 6, 2011, 9:41 am

I’ve read every single book/series on your list except The Story of Little Black Sambo. I love it!
    Alexa @ Alexa Loves Books recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday (11)My Profile

• Two Bibliomaniacs December 6, 2011, 10:23 am

Loved the Boxcar Children as a child. I wish I could have experienced Anne of Green Gables as a child… Aww, Wilber 🙂

• Em December 6, 2011, 11:14 am

The only book I’ve read in you top ten is Harry Potter. Most of my Childhood books were in French, so that’s probably why….
    Em
    A Beautiful Madness

• Nina @ Lost in the Pages December 6, 2011, 12:00 pm

I loved the Little House-series, even if I can’t really remember much of it now..:)
    Nina @ Lost in the Pages recently posted..Top Ten Childhood FavesMy Profile

• gfbooksmom December 6, 2011, 1:48 pm

Great selection. I always loved the Alcott books too.

Here’s my post.

• Kate December 6, 2011, 1:59 pm

I also loved American Girl dolls but I had Samantha. Also, what is it with grandparents and Little Black Sambo? I also was given a copy when I was a kid. Strange coincidence.

Check out my favorite childhood books here
    Kate recently posted..Top Ten Childhood Favorites (13)My Profile

• cathy December 6, 2011, 2:19 pm

Oh I loved Anne of Green Gables – such a great book and movie. I would always watch it on PBS whenever it came on lol. Here’s my Top Ten

• Jessie Marie December 6, 2011, 3:16 pm

Great list! We only share the Harry Potter series (which has shown up on most everyone’s list that I’ve seen so far) but the American Girl story should have been on mine. You and Felicity = Me and Samantha. : ) I LOVED those books.

Jessie Marie
    My Top Ten
    Jessie Marie recently posted..Top Ten – Childhood FavesMy Profile

• Laura December 6, 2011, 8:35 pm

I still love my American Girl dolls. I hope I have a daughter someday to pass them down too. I think Samantha was my favorite, which makes me a Victorian.
    Laura recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday: Back to the FutureMy Profile

• JNCL December 6, 2011, 11:34 pm

Oh, I forgot about the American Girl books. I LOVED those!
    JNCL recently posted..I Owe My Soul to Reading ChallengesMy Profile

• Lenna December 7, 2011, 12:17 am

We have some books in common! :] haha and I had forgotten about Little House in the Big Woods until I saw it on your list here!
    Lenna recently posted..Top Ten Tuesdays: Childhood FavoritesMy Profile

• Ellie December 9, 2011, 11:38 pm

My favorite time I spend with my little girls is when I read them their bedtime stories. I must confess I enjoy some of the stories as much and they do. Our favorites are Little House in the Big Woods and The Boxcar Children. Thanks for your post; you have given me some ideas for new books for our ‘reading hour’.

Ellie
    Ellie recently posted..my anxiety experiencesMy Profile