On Genre Recommendations…

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke & the Bookish.

If you haven’t tried historical romance…

Photobucket

1. Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean. Great characters and great plot. A new release with a take on the classic spinster-meets-rake plot. I found myself constantly laughing.

2. Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas. Another spinster-meets-rake plot – written completely different. One of the best examples of a reformed rake in the entire genre.

3. When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James. A retelling – a very well-written one. Fabulous characters! The male hero is inspired by Dr. House.

4. Silk is for Seduction by Loretta Chase. These characters have some of the best chemistry – sizzling hot. Really great writing from one of the best in the field.

5. Slightly Scandalous by Mary Balogh. One of the authors of the genre that you have to read, this one a take on the fake-engagement plot. Hilarious characters you’ll love within a few pages.

If you haven’t tried adult epic fantasy…

Photobucket

1. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. My favorite book of all time. Some of the best writing you’ll come across ever, with fantastic characters!

2. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Fantasy is all about the world building, and this author is the best at it. The. Best.

3. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Completely different take on the genre. Absolutely hilarious. My goal in life is to make April at Books & Wine finally read it.

4. The Poison Throne by Celine Kiernan. First of a darker trilogy. Murder, starvation, cannibalism…

5. The Stand by Stephen King. If you want a real post-apocalyptic read, this is it. It doesn’t get any better than SK!

• Jackie January 16, 2012, 11:31 pm

The only epic fantasy I’ve ever read (or should I say tried to read) are the Lord of the Rings books. I loved the movies, so I should have loved the books, right? I may have been too young and impatient to appreciate them, but they kind of turned me off the epic fantasies. Lately, I’ve been wanting to give the genre another chance. I’m glad I stumbled across the post because now I’ve added a few of these to my TBR list! I’m especially intrigued by The Name of the Wind, Mistborn, and The Lies of Locke Lamora!
    Jackie recently posted..Blogger Confessions: Getting over the SlumpMy Profile

• Michael January 16, 2012, 11:38 pm

I don’t really read hystorical fiction so I might have to check out some of those. Also I really want to read the Stand it is sitting on my shelf. I will have to bump it up my tbr. =]
    Here is My Top Ten
    Michael recently posted..Top Ten Books I’d Recommend To Someone Who Doesn’t Read YA/DystopianMy Profile

• Danica Page January 16, 2012, 11:41 pm

I hadn’t heard of any of these before today. 🙁 I love historical fiction and fantasy (epic fantasy especially) too. I’ll have to check some of these out.

Great list. Here’s mine: http://danicapage.blogspot.com/2012/01/teaser-tuesday-13-top-ten-tuesday.html
    Danica Page recently posted..Teaser Tuesday (13) & Top Ten TuesdayMy Profile

• Bree January 17, 2012, 2:16 am

The Name of the Wind is definitely on my TBR list! I really have to start getting back in to fantasy, it’s been a long time since I’ve read much of it.
    Bree recently posted..Top 10 Tuesday 17th JanuaryMy Profile

• Loti January 17, 2012, 6:04 am

Ooo great list! I haven’t read a lot of historical romance but I have heard nothing but good things about Nine Rules! I also love high fantasy but I haven’t read a lot of adult high fantasy. I’m definitely adding some of these to my wish list!

My Top Ten Tuesday!
    Loti recently posted..Top Ten Books I Would Recommend To Someone Who Doestn’t Read Contemporary!My Profile

• Melissa @ Confessions of an Avid Reader January 17, 2012, 6:06 am

Great choices of epic fantasy. Have you read the George R.R. Martin books? They are fantastic!
    Melissa @ Confessions of an Avid Reader recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Would Recommend to Someone Who Doesn’t Read Historical FictionMy Profile

• Kyle @ A Reader's Pensieve January 17, 2012, 6:29 am

A few of my friends have also read The Name of the Wind and absolutely loved it. I’m definitely adding it to my TBR list now.

All those historical romances look great too. I’ve thought about reading When Beauty Tamed the Beast before; time to give in! Thanks for the recs!

• Felicia the Geeky Blogger January 17, 2012, 6:35 am

I have L.K. on my historical romance authors to try 🙂
    Felicia the Geeky Blogger recently posted..Top Off Tuesday: Night Reigns by Dianne DuvallMy Profile

• Rie Conley January 17, 2012, 9:42 am

I never get to read Historical Romance anymore, and I’ve been missing it so much! This is like the 3rd time I’ve seen someone recommend When Beauty Tamed the Beast, so I guess I’ll have to pick it up.

Do you happen to know of any good historical paranormal romance?
    Rie Conley recently posted..Top Ten Books I’d Recommend To Someone Who Doesn’t Read ParanormalMy Profile

• Allison (AllureofBooks) January 17, 2012, 3:50 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is The Native Star by M.K. Hobson, which is actually historical fantasy – steampunk/witches & wizards. Not exactly what you were looking for probably, but a really awesome read either way!

• April Books & Wine January 17, 2012, 10:39 am

Oh, I love love love The Stand forever and ever. Dude, Larry was one of my favorites. And I wanted to punch Harold in the head. And AHH that whole book, I can’t even coherently write out my love.

Also, I am so ashamed of myself for only having read Nine Rules as far as your Historical Romance recommendations go.
    April Books & Wine recently posted..Top 10 Audiobooks For Virgin EarsMy Profile

• Amy @ Tripping Over Books January 17, 2012, 3:55 pm

WOOT! Awesome list!! I LOVE Sarah MacLean! Her books are such little hotties! I’ve got some Kleypas and some James books to read, too. So many romances, so little time!
    Your epic fantasies are awesome, too. The Name of the Wind has been on my shelf for years but I haven’t read it yet. And I’m stoked that you loved The Lies of Lock Lamorra! That’s another book languishing on my kindle. Can’t wait to read it.
    I’d mention the Game of Thrones books, but I think I remember seeing somewhere that you were anti those. Oops! Can’t help it. I’m a fan. But these are great recs. I’m on it!
    Amy @ Tripping Over Books recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday (10)My Profile

• Angel C January 17, 2012, 4:02 pm

Devil in Winter?! YES YES YES. Perfect choices for romance novels, Allison!
    Angel C recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday [3]: YAngelism At Its BestMy Profile

• Sarah (The Brazen Bookworm) January 17, 2012, 5:33 pm

I completely <3 this list. I feel like the Bedwyn series isn't quite as well known as the others, but it's SO good. And as for the Kleypas…Sebastian?? Best rake ever. I'll have to check out your fantasy books since I've neglected that genre, but fabulous job on the hist rom books!
    Sarah (The Brazen Bookworm) recently posted..Book Review: A Lady Awakened by Cecilia GrantMy Profile

• Ellie January 17, 2012, 7:58 pm

I’ve heard good things about “The Lies of Locke Lamora “. Has anyone else read this one?
    Ellie recently posted..Managing Panic AttacksMy Profile

• cecilia January 17, 2012, 8:58 pm

I love Sarah MacLean as a romance writer – so far she is just dishing out the absolute best, and I can’t wait for her upcoming series!

I will have to take a look at your other HR suggestions because they sound delightful 🙂

Patrick Rothfuss has the most awesome blog – and I still have to read Wise Man’s Fear! The only reason I am postponing it because I know I have to re-read NotW again to refresh my memory!

I will definitely have to check out Mistborn and Lies Of Locke Lamora – they sound good 🙂

Thanks for all these good recs!