Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.
You guys, the subject this week was books that broke your heart a little in honor of (not) celebrating Valentine’s Day.
For the first half, I decided to take things a little further and just go with the books least likely to get you in a V-Day state of mind…
1. The Stand by Stephen King. Sure there is a little romance in this one…but there is also death. Lots and lots of ugly, brutal death. Death by plague, death by murder…deathy death death death.
2. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. This book is truly excellent. If you love the movie – you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. The dinosaurs are scary, y’all.
3. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. The first rule about fight club is that you don’t talk about fight club.
4. The Godfather by Mario Puzo. Even if you never listen to my book recommendations – this is the time to change your mind. This book is fantastic. The plotting and excellent characterization will blow your mind! These people are twisted.
5. Roots by Alex Haley. I’m actually reading this one right now – prepare to be horrified by what people are capable of doing to other people.
Now, for this half – books that broke my heart (mostly in a good way).
6. Don’t Tell by Karen Rose. This is actually a romanic suspense novel, but these characters. Oh man. They will get to you too – I promise.
7. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. You have to read it to believe it. Prepare to hug your family to death.
8. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. This one is brand spankin’ new! It is not just a cancer book.
9. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. All the characters in this book are so vibrant and real, even the one that has recently passed away. Great writing. GREAT.
10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. Of course.