A Matter of Magic by Patricia C. Wrede

A Matter of Magic by Patricia C. Wrede is actually a duology; it contains Mairelon the Magician and Magician’s Ward. It has been on my radar for quite awhile now because I love the historical fantasy genre. Since I’m currently trying to get some reading done on my Fill in the Gaps challenge, I decided to finally pick it up!

You guys, if I had known how much I was going to love A Matter of Magic, I’d have picked it up ages ago! I had so much fun while reading it! Other than Sorcery & Celia, I haven’t read anything else by Patricia C. Wrede. If all her books are this enchanting, that will be changing very quickly. The characters and plot both held me riveted.

Kim grew up on the streets, disguised as a boy for safety. When she is caught poking around where she doesn’t belong, she ends up assistant to a magician. Mairelon ends up dragging her into a web of intrigue involving lost magical artifacts. Then, in the second half of A Matter of Magic, Kim is living as his ward when further intrigues develop.

Hilarious, witty, captivating…I was left completely and utterly charmed. Some of the hijinx that Mairelon and Kim find themselves in had me shaking my head and snorting with laughter. The personalities of both left me with similar reactions even when the situations weren’t meant to be especially funny.

A Matter of Magic reminded me why it is best not to get caught up in only reading current young adult fantasy. It lacks the qualities of books that are a little older. When all you read is too focused on romance and elaborate supernatural situations – you can end up missing out! (Not that this book doesn’t have a cute romance sub-plot…I’m not hating on anything, I love modern YA fantasy too!) Diversity my friends, diversity.

The simplicity of Patricia C. Wrede’s story is so beguiling, y’all. I really can’t recommend reading this enough!

Check out A Matter of Magic by Patricia C. Wrede on Goodreads / Amazon

You might also like:

• Cecelia June 29, 2012, 8:24 am

Oh, I’m so glad you loved these stories! They’re some of my ‘most favorite EVER,’ and I can’t recommend the rest of Wrede’s books enough. I think you’d really like Dealing with Dragons, and all of her backlist, really.
    Cecelia recently posted..what to do: if you think you want to move to seattleMy Profile

• Kathy Martin June 29, 2012, 9:45 am

I second the recommendation for the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. I also like her current Frontier Magic series. The third book comes out this summer. Happy reading!

• Mary @ My Sisters Bookshelf June 30, 2012, 2:09 pm

I love love love this book! Sorcery and Cecilia was one of the very first books my sister and I reviewed for our blog, but this book was actually my introduction to Patricia C. Wrede. I think Mairelon is a lot better developed than her male characters sometimes are. Which I’m totally cool with because the women are generally being just fine without them, if that makes sense? But I do so like him!
    Mary @ My Sisters Bookshelf recently posted..Book Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier Was More Like A Nice GarnetMy Profile

• MundieMoms July 1, 2012, 7:16 am

This is the first I’ve heard of this book, and I’m totally adding this to my list. It sounds like a fabulous read! So glad you loved it.

• Heidi July 1, 2012, 2:35 pm

Sold! I love historical fantasy, and of course you mention a chick who’s disguised herself as a boy and I can hardly resist. The fact that romance is only a subplot, and you’ve described the writing as witty makes me think I’ll enjoy this one as much as you have!
    Heidi recently posted..With Bated Breath: July New ReleasesMy Profile

• April Books & Wine July 2, 2012, 9:04 am

I agree that if all you read is new stuff, you definitely miss out on things that have stood the test of time for a reason.

Also? I have this book, like this exact edition on my shelf, I won it from Cecelia. SO YAY. I am so going to read this eventually some time in my life ha ha.
    April Books & Wine recently posted..Before You Go James Preller Book ReviewMy Profile

• Misty July 4, 2012, 9:22 pm

I’ve had this sitting on my shelves for ages, and it’s one of those that I’m super excited about, yet can’t seem to find the time to pick up.
    Loved Sorcery and Cecilia, LOVED The Thirteenth Child, really, really need to pick this up already.

• June July 12, 2012, 8:17 am

I loved her Enchanted Forest Chronicles..thanks for reminding me to search out her other books!

• born27 August 23, 2012, 2:24 pm